Pages

Jun 26, 2012

It's Only Natural..."Food and Growing Healthy Hair"



You never realize that the whole "you are what you eat" mantra actually has some truth to it until you actually start watching what you eat. In starting the process of growing healthy natural hair, I of course went the route of finding proper hair products, but besides that, I realized that it's not just about what I put on my hair and scalp, but also about what I put n my body. The foundation of healthy new hair growth starts with the nutrients that we eat. Eating the right food, not only helps your body, but can help you grow stronger, healthier hair. Growing up, my mother was always conscious about what she put on my plate, but as I got older, I stopped paying attention. I never took into consideration that everything all adds up in the end. After doing some research on food that contained protein and other nutrients that can help promote growth and hair health, I noticed that I was already eating most of them. The difference is that I just eat way more of it now, lol!

Here's a list of food that can help in anyone's journey for healthy hair:


  • Beans: I eat beans almost every single day. My mother always made them with every meal and I continue to do the same for myself. Beans, especially Kidney beans and lentils, provide protein to promote growth, as well as biotin, zinc and iron.
  • Eggs: Great source of protein and also contains Vitamin B-12 and biotin, which are often found in beauty supplements. Eggs are my fav and no matter how I cook them, I always try to make sure I sneak them into my daily food needs, wether it's in my breakfast or chopped up in a salad.
  • Dark Green Veggies: Dark green vegetables are rich in Vitamins A and C, which helps the body to produce sebum, a natural oily/waxy matter secreted from the hair follicles, that helps keep hair and skin from drying out. Greens to eat: spinach, broccoli and kale.
  • Salmon: Is it odd that I'm not the biggest seafood fan?! I may not eat it often, but I try to incorporate seafood, especially salmon, into my diet as much as I can. Salmon is full of Omega-3 fatty acids, which aids in scalp health. Salmon also contains Vitamin B-12 and iron.
  • Poultry: Full of protein, chicken and turkey are great food to consume to help with growing healthy, strong hair.
  • Dairy: Milk and yogurt are excellent sources of calcium, which is important for hair growth. 
  • Nuts: Who would have thought huh? Walnuts, almonds, pecans, and cashews are full of zinc. Zinc is a part of maintaining healthy hair, since a deficiency in zinc can lead to the shedding of hair. I always keep a bag of almonds in my drawer at work, for the munchies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment