Pages

Jun 10, 2012

It's Only Natural..."Dyeing Natural Hair"






Recently, I was having a conversation with one of my friends about natural hair care and she brought up the process of dyeing hair. She always dyed her hair when it was relaxed but hasn't done so since going natural and was unsure of how her hair would react to the change. Now, dyeing natural hair is always a process to think about. Up for consideration is the type of dye and the kind of color that you can choose. Everyone's hair reacts differently to dye. I dyed my hair a beautiful burgundy in January 2010 and I was in love with the color. My hairdresser had to use two bottles of the color because my natural hair was not taking the color easily and was looking jet black after one bottle. In the end though, I loved the fact that it gave me a different look, but what I didn't love was the fact that at times my hair was a bit dry at the ends. I had to make sure that my hair was properly moisturized at all times to allow for retention of moisture and my ends were becoming a bit frazzled. I took that as a sign that maybe the dye and me were no longer best friends, lol.

However, dyeing natural hair is a great form of self expression and can allow for the change you crave when dealing with natural hair. There are many types of dyes to choose from and if you are not getting it done professionally here are a few of the choices that are available:


1) Temporary Hair Color (Rinse): This is great for testing out hair color due to the dye just coating the hair cuticles, allowing for somewhat of a rinse of color. The hair shaft is never penetrated by the color, therefore letting the rinse last about a month, but usually washes out after a few shampoos. However, this depends on how often you shampoo your hair.
2) Semi Permanent Hair Color: This are like a stain for your hair. The hair dye is made for darkening the hair and adding richness. It also coats the hair almost in the same way that temporary hair color does, but lasts a little longer...about 4 to 8 weeks. Great hair color without the overall commitment.
3) Permanent Hair Color: This is the real deal and not for the commitment phobes out there. This dye lasts until you either change the color or let your hair grow out (which was the option I took after I realized that my hair color no longer agreed with me). This type of dye has a high level of peroxide and works well in natural hair, since it is not already weakened by the process of relaxing. Permanent hair color is a fantastic way to change up your style.

Highlights are another choice in hair dye, but it is a process that can be done by a professional for the best overall outcome.
Once your natural hair has been dyed, it's all about the upkeep of it. Remember to moisturize your hair as often as you can and try to add in color protectant shampoos and conditioners into your usual hair routine. Some great color protectant products are:

 DevaCare One Condition- Ultra creamy to help give moisture to color treated hair. 

DevaCare Low-Poo- excellent shampoo for natural color treated hair, since it has a mild lathering and is sulfate-free to help combat dryness.
Quidad Climate Control- Great conditioner for helping to maintain frizz and gives complete color protection.


No comments:

Post a Comment